Graduate Internship Scheme (SURE-P)
BRIEF ON GRADUATE INTERNSHIP SCHEME (GIS)
The Graduate Internship Scheme (GIS) commenced in October, 2012 as a social safety net component of Subsidy Reinvestment and Empowerment Programme (SURE-P). It is implemented by the Federal Ministry of Finance with a mandate to provide short term employment for graduates.
2. The Scheme aims to achieve this by creating opportunity for them to be attached to firms /organizations, where they can work for a year and enjoy a monthly stipend of N18,000. Such interns can use the opportunity to gain working experience and enhance their employability.
3. The project has so far matched over 200 firms with about 1000 interns from the pool of about 85,000 graduates that have registered with the Scheme. The graduates have shown tremendous interest in the project by registering beyond the threshold of 50,000 allotted for the scheme in any given year. Deployment of such graduates is ongoing.
4. The Scheme has three main objectives:
• To enhance the employability of up to 50,000 unemployed graduates in the 36 states of the Federation and the FCT through internship programs in pre-selected institutions; and
• To reduce the vulnerability of unemployed graduates.
• To build manpower base towards attaining national development operations.
5. The project would like to see more buy-in from the firms as their participation is not commensurate with rate of graduate registration. The firms can reap many from engaging these graduates; they get to enjoy free labour at government expense as government will pay the monthly stipends of the interns, they get to select the best interns to join their workforce and they get a cost-free opportunity to render their Corporate Social Responsibility. The project is also planning other incentives like tax rebates for companies registered with the Project.